Wednesday, February 10, 2010

#1 One week in NZ

The week culminated with dinner followed by a giant jenga competition. I imaginatively named us the Fulbrighters, which may have had something to do with us losing first.
I was really feeling old since almost all the other Fulbrighters are fresh out of undergrad, but then this 800 year old Remu made me feel better in Otari Bush
Nat Geo eat your heart out, Te Papa AND a Day in Pompeii
Poster at health center on the marae. I found their use of the word "smear" highly disturbing. Never going to be able to go to Einstein Bagels again.
The marae of Waiwhetu, pronounced Whyfetu, they're known f or their pacifism. About 40 of us slept on mattresses on the floor inside, including 2 year olds and some people with a bit of sleep apnea, not restful, but cool
The cable car at my NZ grandparents, with my luggage loaded :(
The cable car coming down to the street
Sevens mayhem, fittingly an Australian monk was trying to hit on me
Some Seven's crazies worshipping Jaeger while in hot pants
WestPac arena for the Sevens, view from the corporate box, pretty awesome welcome for me
My name on my new office, apparently I had to come all the way to get my own office and with a window and a view!

Me with the new Ambassador to NZ and other Fulbrighter, Rachel at the marae (Maori meeting house), apparently the Ambassador loves Mexican so we're going to hit up Las Margaritas, I'm still skeptical of NZ having good Mexican


My NZ grandparents, Nancy and Graham, from their deck

Me, at the house I stayed at the first five days, I wanted to move in
View of the harbor from my office


NZ Sevens team in front of the Beehive (Capitol)



Okay so we can all agree I majorly failed at my DC 100 favorite things. But lets forget about that and move on.....maybe to Wellington, New Zealand. I will do my best. I've been here now exactly a week, so here's a short recap about what's been going on, a few lessons I've learned, and a bit of fun I've had.

Lessons:
-Pack lightly - unpacking in Dulles and missing your flight recommended to be avoided. In addition, landing in Auckland after a 13 hour flight and them deeming your bags a biohazard then racing to the next terminal....anyway pack light, but I do miss the items not able to make it, ie. a TOWEL (have since dried myself with a washrag and a random towel found in a bathoom, aka toilet)

-Pakeha (Kiwi, NonMaori) are not affectionate, no hugs yet :(, missing those Latins

-Rugby Sevens are different than traditional rugby and the All Blacks are not the Sevens team. Sevens is quite exciting and fast paced (only 7 minute halves). Also the All Blacks were poisoned in the Final game featured in the movie Invictus, poisoning not included in movie. Now I need to try to understand cricket....

-No need for a gym membership, the hills here a brutal, and when it looks flat and like a short walk to see an apartment, its NOT and you will basically show up sweaty wherever you go, but hoping it all pays off with some good leg muscles

-Sweet As, means something like "cool" or "no worries"

-Kia Ora, is like Aloha or Prego, you can use it coming and going

Things I had to travel across the world to get:

-Grandparents - Graham and Nancy, thank you so much! Living with people who cook all your meals, keep offering you biscuits (cookies), drive you around to see apartments and come in to each one, and going to bed at 10pm is awesome

-An office with a window, oh and a VIEW, oh and my name on the door as a "visiting scholar"

-A cell phone with automatic T9, which I'm still getting used to

-A tour of the legislature, today toured the Beehive, Parliament building, which I realized I've never toured the Capitol building in DC!

So far it has been a lot of fun and very busy, almost non-stop. Unfortunately or fortunately I guess, internet is not as easy to come by here and they charge you by the amount of file size you use (don't understand what this means) so my plans for skype and more easy contact haven't worked so far, will keep you posted.

It is a bit tough to be so far away, and you know living in the future and all, but luckily I've been kept busy with a ton to care of here. I miss all of you and very much hope you will visit.

I'm going to a wine festival this weekend and then Wwoofing for a few days, which is working on farms for free place to stay and food in exchange for your work. I'm going to be on a berry farm and then a livestock farm (cattle and sheep), then going to do some tramping for my birthday. I'll try to post an update next week.......





6 comments:

  1. Maybe the Pakehas are my lost tribe!!!

    Your being the oldest is exactly how it is for me at LSE... I have not met one person over the age of 25.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks amazing! So proud of you! Enjoy every moment!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We will take you to Brueggers when you get home!! Looks amazing Elizabeth and I love the commentary--keep it coming!

    ReplyDelete
  4. "and you know, living in the future and all." Love it. You may miss us, but we are super jeals of you! Can't wait to come visit!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beall.... looks amazing! Keep the pics coming. Very jealous of you, looks like you have been keeping busy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello dear Bizzie! Have tried to post 2x without success. Trying again.....I'm SO excited to see your blog, photos/comments!Congratulations!! You are achieving an amazing adventure!! Love you!! Mom

    ReplyDelete