Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Its Business Time

I knew with being gone for two weeks that I would need to seriously throw myself back into things, not only because of time slipping away (I've now been here 7 months! just FYI, apparently time goes by faster in the future); but also because after the visit I knew I'd be a bit homesick. Some may argue its never actually business time in New Zealand, and an element of that is true....

When I tell people here about my research, they either laugh or grimace. When I tell people I'm here on a Fulbright fellowship, they look incredulous. I decided maybe a new pair of glasses would help make myself more business believable and get people to take me and my research a bit more serious. And lets be honest, academia is not an easy fit for me. I don't have the ego or the patience for it, and it generally feels a bit indulgent. The more convincing my disguise, the better. I also have the bad habit of sleeping in my glasses, so my previous pair basically has chips missing out of them, is bent in odd angles, has too weak of a prescription, and generally make me look mentally challenged.

So armed with my new specs, I was prepared to tackle a range of meetings I had set up prior to Stephanie coming, not only regarding my research, but alas also regarding JOBS. Yes, crazy that the time has come so soon. I've gotten REAL used to not working. And although I'm here Fulbrighting around, New Zealand tends to make you want to throw it all in and start a winery or a B and B, or just become a fisherman. But I did apply for two jobs post Fulbright, one here in Wellington and one in Rome. I guess this is the part where I should tell you that I've also decided to stay a bit longer in NZed. The Fulbright gives us up to 5 years to use our return ticket, tempting, but don't worry I'm just staying till February (so far).

Its officially spring!!!! I almost forgot what its like for it not to be dark when I wake up and have my towels dry again (well almost).

In honor of spring cleaning, I decided to head to the dentist and discovered some things are universal across cultures. Why is it that the minute the dentist has filled your mouth with suctioning tubes, and squirty water, and has an electric brush and a pick stuck in your gums that they decide to "have a conversation". I think they secretly derive private joy out of knowing that they can say whatever they want because although it may seem like a "conversation" you actually can't say anything back. Case in point, "Oh you're from the U.S. originally? What part? I love Florida. Isn't it gorgeous there? Don't you just love the people in West Palm Beach?" And the whole time, I have to make odd grunting noises like I am participating in this "conversation". And by the time all the apparatuses are out of your mouth, its gone on so long that you can't then go back and correct/disagree with everything, so you're just left seething with the fact that this guy thinks you're from Florida. Like going to the dentist isn't bad enough already. Plus side - no cavities for me
Its also business time for running. Here are my new jet propulsion kicks imported from Zappos. I'm finally ready for serious yogging. In breaking this new pair in I got stuck in a hailstorm in 50mph winds on the South Coast - so maybe spring has a bit more sprunging to do

After pictures were posted of Stephanie's recent visit, most of the comments that I have received have been regarding my hair. Yes I'm 29 and have finally started drying my hair on a daily basis. Now I can't quite realize why it took me this long, maybe it was the last vestiges of my hippie days, or a silent rebellion against my Mom chasing me with a comb, or just laziness....They say the Fulbright will change your life, I didn't realize this is what they meant.
In NZed, business time always includes time for fun. The average work week here is 35 hours and mandatory 4 weeks vacation per year. So there's naturally time for taking advantage of the start of scallop season. I've always really liked scallops, but diving for them (not me this time, but a friend - I know surprise I'm making some), plucking them out of the ocean and right into my mouth, then cooking them in butter and garlic ON A BOAT, indescribably awesome. Also sporting swangees (this flannel shirt, another NZed term that can't quite be explained) and seeing about four rainbows, just your average business day

On a sad note, Christchurch has been struck by a major earthquake and has had over 300 afterschocks, some of 5.0 and 6.0 in magnitude since then. I'm sure you all already know this considering that you had emailed me about it before I even knew that it had hit Christchurch and not here. It had woken me up in the middle of the night but I thought it was just a small one. Amazing that no one died, and that through all the damage and loss of jobs and homes, that Kiwis have really maintained their sense of humor. A website for a C Church restaurant, advertises "al fresco" seating where their building used to be. In the spirit of the people of C Church, we'll be hosting a fundraiser next week by baking American treats to sell to hungry Uni kids. Hoping to raise some cash for those in need by sharing some of America's finest desserts of rice krispie treats, brownies, and apple pie. In the meantime, please do keep the people and historic places of Christchurch (flower clock!) in your thoughts as they try to clean up and rebuild

4 comments:

  1. That picture of you reading is ridiculous. I can tell lots of production goes into this blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great update, Beall! I am so glad you're ok and that no one died in the earthquake. I'll be thinking about those CCers...and those brownies...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha, I wore my glasses to a job interview yesterday because I thought they would make me seem more serious.

    My hairdresser is from Christchurch but I haven't spoken to her since the quake, I should check in with her...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wait just a second. Swangees are the shirts?? I thought they were the boots! Maybe I need to come back and clarify this once and for all.

    Remember a month ago when I arrived and we started having fun immediately? Yeah, that was better than being at work.

    ReplyDelete