Friday, October 2, 2015

Verbal noises

In my second post of 100daysofRoma, I'm truly going to miss the Italian verbal noises. I'm sure I could write each day about an aspect of the Italian language that I'm going to miss but the noises come first.....So what am I talking about when I say noises? It's hard to give an English equivalent, but to give you some sort of reference imagine 'hmmmm', or 'ugh' or 'huh', except that in Italian there are about a thousand. Some of my favorites include (spelling refers to English pronunciation):

-euuuuwww (no way!)
-uffa (ugh)
-bo (oh well, heh)
-e moh (so, not actually sure what this one means exactly)
-c'e (now while c'e actually means 'there is' it is also used to just fill in a sentence like 'umm' or 'like')

When I first moved here I thought but I don't get it why are they saying c'e when they don't mean there is, or what is this 'bo' that seems to come after every other eh? And now when I walk around it's part of the music. Italians use these sounds about as often as they use actual words so it's like a fine organ of euwww/uffa/bo/e moh.....you can hear it right? 

No comments:

Post a Comment