Monday, April 12, 2010

Sometimes you have to call an audible

One of the bazillion beaches I stopped at
on my drive. Its like Fiji, but sans boat/plane trip (because I know Fiji?)
Whangaroa Harbor
Just cruising down 90 Mile (KM) Beach,
with my RVR
You probably can't read it but this sign says
"Caution, Oncoming Traffic", in a stream. Not
"Caution, Beware your vehicle will flood". I could
actually feel the car get colder mid-way through. The sandy
bottom doesn't help at all.
Cape Reinga, where the Tasman and the
Pacific collide and the place of the Maori
afterlife
Just me and Cape Reinga, the northernmost
tip of NZ
Enjoying some forest walks and basking
in the glow of ol' Tane Mahuta, the oldest
kauri in NZ
After leaving my comfy wwoofing, albeit somewhat intense conversation, domain, I set off for Cape Reinga, the northern most tip of New Zealand and a spiritual center for Maori. On my way I stopped at a few more picturesque beaches and thought of how much I'd like to come back with a group of friends and stay awhile and swim, dive, and just enjoy the winterless North.

On the way to Cape Reinga, there is the much heralded Ninety Mile Beach, mind you they use kilometers here, which instantly confused me. Ninety Mile (Kilometer) Beach is basically a beach that you can drive up to get North, but you should only do so if you have 4x4 since the sand can get deep and the tides do come in. I decided it was a must on my Northland tour. While it was nice driving on the sand with just beach and coastline to look at, it was a bit stressful by myself since at times my car would fishtail. I would say it would be more fun with someone to take your mind off the actual driving at first. After awhile I really started to like it. So I was cruising along and the beach ended at a cliff, hmmmm. I didn't see any turnoffs and Lonely Planet didn't advise me about this. People always say NZ is really well marked/signed. And it is, especially in rural areas, not as much in cities. Lonely Planet and super touristy Ninety Mile Beach failed to have a sign of when it ends. Probably because when it ends you have to drive up a stream/river. No, not beside the river/stream, but in it. I've had a lot of surreal moments since I've arrived in NZ, but driving up a stream 5km where water is halfway up my car, was really one of them. I did my touristy/spiritual thing at Cape Reinga and then headed back south. While I've been good at not consuming, that doesn't include petrol (gas) which unfortunately my car uses a lot of, good thing I'm working on biofuels and that I got to get full use out of my 4x4 gas guzzler with the beach and stream.

Sometimes I'm a bit slow. Like when I started this trip, I went to the library to get a book on cd, since I knew the radio would be intermittent. Well, there's no cd player in my car, I subsequently realized. Also, I forgot my shampoo and conditioner, which I then bought while scuba diving and subsequently left in my hotel in Bay of Islands. But all good, small things that don't matter except when I get really bored of myself on long drives and I don't even have my windpipes to chime into music to.

Stayed the night in Ahipara at the Endless Summer Lodge, which although a backpackers (the only thing I stay in these days) was super nice and right on the beach. I spent today driving back south down the West Coast of Northland. You don't come to NZ to see ancient monuments, cathedrals, or popes - you come to see ancient trees. So thats what I did today. Spent a few moments in the company of Tane Mahuta, the oldest kauri tree in NZ and then a few moments in the company of a few other old kauri, and a few stopoffs at kauri museums and shops. I planned to keep driving south and stay somewhere....but when I was planning this trip I sort of gave up after Ahipara and decided it would just work out. Well, I got as far south as Dargaville, and realized after finally reading ahead in my Lonely Planet that there were no backpackers until near Auckland. I checked out a few campsites since I have my tent and all with me, but decided I shouldn't give my Mom another heart attack with me having no internet, after my lost wallet day. So I called an audible, or as Alice and Aaron would say, an impact play - and I drove back East to Whangarei. I'm now at a lovely backpackers with views of the harbor, cooked myself a nice cheap dinner, have the internet, and tomorrow will maybe go diving.....

One thing I can't believe I haven't mentioned till now....the local dairy/corner store is called 4 Square!

2 comments:

  1. Haha! You'll be happy to know that Four Square is back on her feet after a few months in the slammer, and even has a job now! She was wearing nail polish and lip gloss the other day. I'm sure she misses you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1. I don't think it can be said how excited I am to visit. You can be the Jay-Z to my Beyonce.

    2. I laughed when I saw that turquoise FCUK shirt you're wearing.

    ReplyDelete