Monday, November 23, 2009

#25 THE MADHATTER

Yes, all caps because of how I love it so. I was planning to save this post for closer to the end when I really get sappy and sentimental (stay tuned). I was also planning to host my goodbye party at Madhatter, but alas they're trying to beat me at my own game by leaving first. Thats right, the Madhatter is closing! I know they're moving to a new location, but it will never be the same, and frankly what makes the Madhatter is the urine, mold, rotting food smell in the bathrooms, the cockroaches and rats running through the dining room at 7pm on a Thursday, and the awesome lack of a dance floor dance floor. Madhatter also holds a special place in my heart in DC because it was the first job I got and kept me afloat while slave laboring at a non-profit in my first years here. For those unfamiliar with Madhatter, its an institution. Its one of the grubbiest, most lax, places you could call an establishment in DC. While being one of the grubbiest places, it somehow has awesome cheap food, even vegetarian friendly. You should have had the veggie burger or spinach dip or veggie panini, or bottomless mimosa brunch. Too many specialties to name them all. In addition to the food, the myriad of employees of the Madhatter can't be matched. Working there was like a warm (soggy) hug, where they played Dirty by Christina Aguilara everytime I asked or Stunner Glasses from my Ipod, even if they didn't want to, and cleared off the dance floor whenever I asked. Madhatter was basically a home away from home. From Mickey the owner, to Emily a waitress that used to abuse me for my first months, and eventually got fired for being too drunk on the job (quite a feat at Madhatter), to Danny, Trey, Coach (miss those Tuesday Trivia nights), Sean, Meg (in the Peace Corps, look what Madhatter does for your career), Jessica, Tommy, David, Denise (love our JT, James Taylor or Justine Timberlake, however you like), Carp, Clara, Rosa, Theresa, Marvin, Soup,Margaret (loved your peach mimosas and will always help with roll-ups) - I will miss you! Too many memories to name them all, but those of you who read this blog, if you haven't been to Madhatter, get there before Sunday.

1 comment:

  1. Awww, I will have to pour out a little beer (or Long Island Iced Tea) for the demise of the original Mad Hatter - where I once took a giant dump in the bathroom with a line of people waiting.

    ReplyDelete