Monday, October 12, 2009

#20 Farmers markets

So this weekend I was enrolled in an Iron Chef competition, where I had planned to make a dish with zucchini flowers, little did I know how hard they were to find. I set out early on Saturday morning, having high hopes for the Mt Pleasant Farmers market, but was sad to find out they didn't have them. However, I was happily rewarded with the farmer's market camaraderie and beautiful produce, and my friend weren't too upset with the cute volunteers. There's something about paying double for what you would at the grocery store, but you get the feel of supporting local farmers and a public market atmosphere. So no zucchini flowers lead us to two more farmer's markets, both within a mile, which is awesome in DC that we have so many public markets to choose from. While going to the many markets, there was a lot of strolling (see #18) and no zucchini flowers found, but lots of appreciation for the local farmers that trek there products into DC for our enjoyment/enlightenment. Thank you local farmers and DC permits for allowing our public markets

No comments:

Post a Comment