Monday, October 12, 2009

#21 Farms

I don't own a car, which I love, but if you do own a car, there are so many opportunities to visit local DC farms. This weekend I went to farmer's markets on Saturday (see #20), and then went to local farms Sunday and Monday (thank you job for giving me the day off, see #1). Sunday I went pumpkin picking with my friends Sylvia, Jenna, and Brad, and my little friends Leo and Charlie (the real reason of the adventure). There's something about bright sunshine, hay rides, live animals (goats and chickens (sheep, I'm ready for you in NZ), cider, and pumpkin rides that makes the autumn. Way better if you're with a three year old (Leo). While I think Butler's Orchard is running a racket, I had a great time and came with a pumpkin and (free) pumpkin flowers, which I immediately filled with goat cheese and herbs and fried up. Then today, I went apple picking and wine tasting and learned about organic farming. I can't wait to Woof on farms in NZ, but while I'm here I'm really enjoying all of the Capitol districts many farms and the opportunity to get out of the city all within an hour's drive.

No comments:

Post a Comment