Sunday, September 20, 2009

#13 Proximity to other cities

This could be said for many cities on the East Coast, but I would argue that DC is uniquely placed at the juncture of the North and South and offers easy access to both. Seeing friends who live in Baltimore, New York, Boston, and Philadelphia, Charlotte, Virginia Beach, Raleigh are all within an easy drive/train/bus ride from DC. Now to be totally honest, since I've lived here I've never gone south (barring international trips or plane rides). I know weird, but I hear and figure that its pretty easy. And I have always wanted to go to the Outer Banks and also go to South of the Border, and relive my high school glory days on the Myrtle Beach strip. I still have 86 days left, so we'll see.

Anyway, its very easy and cheap to go North, this I know. First of all there's Amtrak, which is so nice, and so much better than flying - drink/snack car anyone? And although its not quite so cheap anymore, its still often cheaper than flying and much more convenient. And then there's Bolt Bus, just $20 bucks and you're in NY, with WiFi the whole way, and a friendly often stand-up comedian bus driver, and a rest stop along the way in case you're craving a BK Veggie Burger. Somehow they always make it in less than 4.5 hours, which I have never accomplished driving. So way to go Bolt at living up to your name!

So when you're not in the mood for appreciating DC, ahem, at least there's a lot close by thats cheap and easy, just how I like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment