Tuesday, September 15, 2009

#2 Everyone's a dork


So I had a different number two, but will revisit at a later date, hence the out of orderness of these posts. And not that the order matters, I just need to reach a 100.

Growing up I was always a big lover of reading, vocabulary, a member of the chess club, asked for a microscope for my birthday, was in Girl Scouts in middle school, and even received a Role Model Recognition award. You know, basically a big dork. As high school came along, I found myself made fun of more and more, even receiving the nicknames DDS (dewey decimal system for you non-readers out there) and Copernicus so I quickly learned I should hide these interests and start wearing mini skirts and become a stat girl for the guys lacrosse team.

When I moved to DC, I quickly realized everyone's a dork here and if you don't embrace your inner dork (or outer) that you won't really fit in and you won't get much out of DC. You may remember my friend Stephanie mentioned in the first post. Well she hates reading and in DC everyone makes fun of her!! Luckily she has other dorky qualities (she loves maps for instance) so she's not completely ostracized.

To all you young people out there reading this blog (is anyone reading this blog?) save your chess sets, magic tricks, and rare stamp collections, for one day when you can come to DC and be the coolest kid on the block for all your dorkyness.

No comments:

Post a Comment